Expert Instructors: Experts in their fields will present the proven and the latest in sustainable design, construction and operation techniques with an emphasis on both practical applications and underlying theories.
Interactive Format: Participation will be encouraged and expected to enhance a cooperative, fun learning experience.
Hands-on Exercises: Each unit will include an in-depth small group project that will reinforce technical concepts and develop competencies in applying LEED™, Built Green™, and other sustainable criteria.
Demonstrated Competencies: Small group project presentations and written papers summarizing results will be required for each unit to document learning and for credit.
Field Trips: Site visits to exemplary projects will provide opportunities to test conceptual understanding with the real thing.Integrated Approach: Units will be fully integrated by the lead instructor to reinforce learning and provide familiarity with cross-disciplinary aspects of applied sustainability.
Readings: Focused reading selections will be assigned for further learning. Internet and other resources will be integrated into the classroom experience.
Cross-Sector Applicability: Course content (including case studies and project-based exercises) will address various types of construction (commercial, residential, renovation, and new) and development (greenfield, redevelopment).
The SBA Program is approved by the AIA for 100 CES learning units.
- Unit 1: Sustainable Building and Design: Introduction
- Unit 2: Importance of Place
- Unit 3: Energy Efficiency and Integrated Lighting Design
- Unit 4: “Green” Material Selection
- Unit 5: Indoor Environmental Quality & Health
- Unit 6: Water Conservation and Quality Protection
- Unit 7: Sustainable Job Site Operations
- Unit 8: Building Operations and Maintenance
- Click SBA Course Outline to view a course outline.
- For more information about the national SBA organization visit www.sbainstitute.org