A Learning Experience Designed for Professionals
Because of low enrollment, the SBA is not being offered this year.
Please check back for future SBA program opportunities.
- Learn to improve a building’s economic and environmental performance.
- Enhance your career through a nine-month, in-depth training.
- One weekend/per month classes adapted for the working professional.
The Sustainable Building Advisor (SBA) Certificate Program is a nine-month, specialized training program, designed to enable graduates to advise employers or clients on strategies and tools for implementing sustainable building.Benefits from participating in the SBA program often include saving long term building operating costs, improving the environmental, social and economic viability of the region, reducing environmental impacts and owner liability plus a chance to improve your skills in a rapidly growing field.
By the end of this training program, participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss the key practices of sustainable building.
- Establish competencies in applying LEED™, Built Green™ and other relevant criteria or established guidelines.
- Analyze the costs and benefits of incorporating sustainable building measures.
- Take advantage of financial incentives and technical assistance offered by governments, utilities and non-profit organizations.
- Work with architects, designers, builders, building operators, and utilities to improve a building’s performance.
- Establish a sustainable design goal for project development.
- Assist in the education and training of staff in sustainable building.
Sustainable Building Advisor Certification
To receive certificate of completion, students will be required to demonstrate understanding and competencies of the course material through participation in small group project presentations and written papers.Presentations and written papers will be scored on a pass-fail basis. In addition, students successfully completing the course may take a national exam which, if passed, allows them to use the designation of “Certified Sustainable Building Advisor” or “C.S.B.A.”
Who Should Attend?
|Architects & Engineers||Contractors|
|Tenant & Developer Representatives||Project Managers|
|Other Building Industry Professionals||Students|
|Resource Conservation Specialists|
Expert Instructors: Experts in their fields will present the proven and the latest in sustainable design, construction and operation techniques with an emphasis on both practical applications and underlying theories.
Interactive Format: Participation will be encouraged and expected to enhance a cooperative, fun learning experience.
Hands-on Exercises: Each unit will include an in-depth small group project that will reinforce technical concepts and develop competencies in applying LEED™, Built Green™, and other sustainable criteria.
Demonstrated Competencies: Small group project presentations and written papers summarizing results will be required for each unit to document learning and for credit.
Field Trips: Site visits to exemplary projects will provide opportunities to test conceptual understanding with the real thing.Integrated Approach: Units will be fully integrated by the lead instructor to reinforce learning and provide familiarity with cross-disciplinary aspects of applied sustainability.
Readings: Focused reading selections will be assigned for further learning. Internet and other resources will be integrated into the classroom experience.
Cross-Sector Applicability: Course content (including case studies and project-based exercises) will address various types of construction (commercial, residential, renovation, and new) and development (greenfield, redevelopment).
The SBA Program is approved by the AIA for 100 CES learning units.
- Unit 1: Sustainable Building and Design: Introduction
- Unit 2: Importance of Place
- Unit 3: Energy Efficiency and Integrated Lighting Design
- Unit 4: “Green” Material Selection
- Unit 5: Indoor Environmental Quality & Health
- Unit 6: Water Conservation and Quality Protection
- Unit 7: Sustainable Job Site Operations
- Unit 8: Building Operations and Maintenance
- Click SBA Course Outline to view a course outline.
- For more information about the national SBA organization visit www.sbainstitute.org
SBA sessions meet one weekend (Friday 9-5 and Saturday 9-3) per month and run a total of nine sessions. Class size is limited to a maximum of 30 persons.
*Please note that this schedule is tentative as we schedule guest instructors and field trips
NWEEI is no longer registering students for this program. For other locations offering this training, please visit SBA's main website at http://sbainstitute.com/providers-and-instructors/
Approximate Cost: $2,250*
* Tuition includes the cost ($200) of the CSBA exam, the final step in becoming a Certified Sustainable Building Advisor. Successful completion of the program ensures your eligibility to take the CSBA Exam.
REFUND POLICY: If registration is cancelled ten days prior to the first day of the class, you will receive a full refund less a $200 processing fee. Up to the 2nd session, 50% refund. No refunds will be issued after the 4th session.